Ralph Hasenhuttl has confirmed that he expects Southampton to make more signings before the transfer window slams shut next month.
The boss sat down and addressed a selection of Saints supporters at a Fans’ Forum at Staplewood on Tuesday evening, where he and other members of the board fielded questions about current affairs at the club.
Hasenhuttl was open and receptive towards the fans and was asked about whether or not he is expecting more arrivals at St Mary’s Stadium this summer.
In concise fashion, the Austrian’s answer was straightforward. Without hesitation, he simply said:
Southampton have already signed two new players. Che Adams joined from Birmingham City for £15 million, while Moussa Djenepo was recruited from Standard Liege for £14 million.
Danny Ings also made his move from Liverpool permanent for a figure believed to be worth £18 million as a consequence of the obligatory clause included in last year’s loan deal.
However, despite the Saints’ business so far, it seems they are far from done in the market.
Positions that Southampton could look to strengthen before the window closes
Southampton are in dire need of further defensive reinforcement. They were far too leaky at the back last season.
Alex McCarthy and Fraser Forster are both understood to be up for sale. If the pair do indeed depart, another goalkeeper to compete with Angus Gunn would be required.
Mario Lemina has been told he can leave Southampton. As such, the Gabon international may need to be replaced.
Cedric Soares could yet stay to compete with Yan Valery for the right-back spot. However, should he leave, another player in this position would not go amiss.
Here's more you might like
Saints saw Uduokhai move fall through – did they miss a trick?
Southampton’s Three Stars: Liverpool (H)
Saints fans were delighted with Romeu’s showing against Liverpool
Hasenhuttl praises Djenepo – does he deserve to start at Brighton?
Rennes opt against Lemina move – and this speaks volumes
Saints fans react to Ings miss against Liverpool