Two goals in five minutes for Southampton earned them a stunning 2-1 victory over Tottenham Hotspur, securing three points to ease the fight against relegation.

James Ward-Prowse’s free-kick from 25 yards out capped of a stunning turn around for the Saints, as St Mary’s went from deja-vu to euphoria.

Tottenham capitalised on their early dominance through Harry Kane’s 200th career goal, as he latched onto Dele Alli’s excellent through ball.

Christopher Lee/Getty Images Sport

Ralph  Hasenhuttl rang the changes at half-time which provided the catalyst for change in the form of Josh Sims.

Nathan Redmond had two chances to give the Saints the lead, with the tricky winger unable to find the back of the net on both occasions, as he struck the side-netting with his first from narrow angle and then fired wide of the mark minutes later, after Josh Sims was left stricken by a Jan Vertonghen boot with referee Kevin Friend ushering away any penalty appeals.

Yan Valery’s scuffed finish brought the Saints level after some suspect defending from Tottenham’s Danny Rose, as latched onto substitute Stuart Armstrong’s cross which hobbled across Spurs six-yard box.

Southampton’s piercing counter attack was brought to an abrupt halt after Stuart Armstrong was tripped by Spurs’ Kyle Walker-Peters, with Kevin Friend brandishing a yellow card the defender and awarding a free-kick 25 yards out for the Saints.

It was deja-vu again for James Ward-Prowse as his sweetly struck free-kick curled past a stricken Hugo Lloris, sending St Mary’s into pandemonium with Spurs collapsing in frantic five-minute period.

Catherine Ivill/Getty Images Sport

The victory was a monumental occasion for the Saints as it marked many a feat for the home side earning them consecutive home wins for the first time since December of 2016.

More importantly Southampton where able to match fellow relegation rivals Cardiff City’s result, which sees the Saints stay two-points clear of the drop.

Southampton will face a spell of three weeks with no action due to Watford’s involvement in the FA Cup and the March International break. With Ralph  Hasenhuttl’s men next taking on fellow South-Coast side Brighton in yet another crucial clash for the Saints on March 30th.

MOTM: Josh Sims

Attendance: 31,890

Referee: Kevin Friend